Sunday, August 8, 2021

A year of flowers #71: Missouri goldenrod

 
Solidago missouriensis

This is the other goldenrod species in our area, more common than the earlier-blooming S. canadensis.  This is another vigorous species like yarrow that is very easy to grow here.  My first plants came from seed I got from a local native plant legend, Dave Skinner, who was the USDA native plant guy at WSU.  He passed away a few years ago, but his influence is still very much with us, because he did a lot to inspire people around here to grow native plants, and he did a lot of research to discover effective methods for propagating local native plants.  
 
I don't remember how I found this website, but I enthusiastically recommend it, if you are interested in propagating native plants.  https://npn.rngr.net/propagation/protocols?

If you use the pull-down menu for "Genus (species)" you can find studies related to the propagation of whatever plant you've chosen.  For every Palouse prairie plant I have wanted to study in this resource, the best propagation information here is invariably from Dave Skinner's work at WSU.

No comments:

Post a Comment