Saturday, May 7, 2022

Another year of flowers: Grassland saxifrage, etc.

 

 
Micranthes fragosa

I have two clumps of this, rescued from a drainage ditch just across the border in Idaho, just as the spraying outfit was coming for it.  I didn't know what it was, but I knew it was something. Well, now I know, thanks to my official Whitman County botanist, Pam Brunsfeld.  This is another plant that DNA analysis has complicated with confusing names (well, to me, anyway).  Its common name--Grassland saxifrage--is stable, but its scientific name has gone from Saxifraga integrifolia to Micranthese fragosa.

Since we're getting some real rainfall this Spring, flowers that I didn't have last year are blooming this year.  Last year I had to use an older photo to show Sugar bowls (Clematis hirsutissima).  It just started blooming out there this year.  Such a wild flower!

 
Clematis hirsutissima

No comments:

Post a Comment