Sunday, May 15, 2022

Another year of flowers: Palouse camas

 

 
Camassia quamash

I have rescued native plants from roadsides, construction sites, drainage ditches... These camas plants were the last camas bulbs not planted by humans that I had seen in my little town, growing in a small field just east of Palouse, about a block away from me.  I loved seeing a camas flower or two show up every May for years in this particular spot.  The owner had told me that I was welcome to dig any plants that I wanted, and I had gotten a few cinquefoil plants a long time ago, but I left the camas unmolested.  For several years, the owner let someone overgraze their horses on it, so that it became a patch of dirt, mostly, and for about three years afterwards no camas bloomed.  Then, four years ago, one camas came up in that spot and I thought--I'd better mark this and try to get the bulb.  So I did, and I planted it in my camas patch, hoping for the best.  Two plants came up!  But, no flowers until this year.  The lot has since been sold to a person who thought it would be a great idea to build an apartment complex there--fortunately the community came together and made sure that didn't happen, but it is only a matter of time now before they build a house or something there, so I am very happy to have saved these jewels.

No comments:

Post a Comment