Friday, July 5, 2013

Summer bloom


Gaillardia, scarlet gillia, yarrow, cinquefoil, and large-leaved lupines blooming in the prairie this morning.  After the previous post, I felt like an image with some more colorful native flowers was called for...

...and an update on the dreaded Medusahead grass.  I mowed all of it at least twice (one spot got four mowings), and my advice is to wait until around July 1 (well, here, at least) rather than diving in right away in early June to mow it, since the stuff comes back up.  Finally I went through the whole prairie and pulled the heads off/plants up by hand, getting about 30 gallons' worth.  Thank goodness the folks from the Palouse Conservation District spotted this; while it sounds like a lot of work, it wasn't too bad, but I suspect that if I had ignored this for another year, I would have had a very nasty infestation on my hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment