Thursday, June 3, 2021

A year of flowers #39: Roundleaf alumroot

 

Heuchera cylindrica

This was a native plant that my wife Dona recognized right away, calling them "coral bells" when we saw them on our first hike up Kamiak Butte.  Both of the plants we have are exactly in the same sort of habitat, northeast of a Ponderosa pine, in the (mostly) shade of the tree.  When I had my prairie restoration grant six years ago, I bought these two from a local source, and they were definitely the same as those I saw in nearby prairie sites, but I purchased another three from a nursery in the area that claimed that they were selling "native plants," and they were definitely some other heuchera--they went into the regular garden.  I guess every plant is native somewhere, but in this case, I really am trying to get the local varieties going...

No comments:

Post a Comment