Saturday, June 26, 2021

A year of flowers #62: Grand collomia

   

Collomia grandiflora

This is an annual flower, native to most of the Pacific Northwest. Jim Roberts first alerted me to it, since a few scrawny ones try to scrape out an existence in the rocky conditions out by North River Road, coming out to our corner of Palouse.  The combination of the peaches-and-cream orange with the little pale blue anthers inside the flower is striking.  All of my Collomia came from seed from Thorn Creek Native Seeds, but now I get enough to spread from my own supply.  I have recommended Thorn Creek as a source elsewhere, but in a project like this, it has been great to be able to buy some seeds from a trusted source that you know is indeed, all local.  All of Jacie Jensen's (the owner of Thorn Creek) seeds are from native plants that grew on her family farm on the aptly-named Paradise Ridge just south of Moscow, ID.  Without people like Jacie, Jim, and Charlotte, I can't imagine having been able to do this work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment