Sunday, June 13, 2021

A year of flowers #49: Ponderosa pine

  

Pinus ponderosa

I am not entirely sure what stage of this bloom this image captures.  First it's a hard purple-wine-colored bud, and then it's like this as it heads toward being a cone, so I'm calling this the flower.  

Planting Ponderosa pine seedlings in the prairie thirty years ago this month is what started it all.  It was a weedy alfalfa field, but a friend of mine knew about free little tree seedlings left over from the University of Idaho plant sale, and I got a bunch that I planted randomly all over the property.  About a third of them got mowed, but now there are a bunch of c.30-foot pine trees out there, looking like real trees.  They form an important habitat for a lot of native plants, which sprout under their dappled shade.  I used the photo below to try to capture the white yarrow clouds (which it doesn't really quite do), but I will use it again here to show some of these pines.  



No comments:

Post a Comment