Wednesday, April 28, 2021

A year of flowers #11: Golden currant

Ribes aureum

This image, the Shooting Star (#10) and the Lomatium you haven't seen yet were all photographed yesterday (4/27).  It's getting to be that time of year where many plants start blooming, and I will try to keep up.  

I have never planted Golden currant, but a few years ago, several just showed up.  A couple sprouted near the house, and I moved them out to the prairie.  And then there were two, including this particular one, that sprouted out in the prairie that same year.  It must have been the year of perfect Golden currant sprouting conditions.  There have been years like that with other plants--one year there were three Blue elderberries sprouting up.  I've introduced the category of rescued plants, but this is a new category--gifts.  I have learned that native plants will just appear, and I had better identify what every unfamiliar plant is before I assume that it's an evil invasive thing. Some plants may just have been waiting around for a chance, and I think the birds and deer bring seeds and whatnot in with them.  I accept the gifts.  Golden currants are welcome to settle in.

No comments:

Post a Comment