Monday, April 19, 2021

A year of flowers #6 (and #7): Montia dichotoma and Claytonia parviflora

  

  Montia dichotoma

 
Claytonia parviflora
 
I thought I was going out to photograph just one little annual five-petaled flower today, the M. dichotoma, which I had identified last year.  I have been trying to identify all the tiny annual flowers that seem to play an important role in Palouse prairie, so I can stimulate their spread throughout the property.  But when I went to try to capture photographs today, I realized... wait, these are two different flowers... You can just see the leaves on the Claytonia, and I realize now that I see these plants all over the place here.  They look like little rosettes of spade-shaped leaves when they first show up.  We also have the classic Miners' lettuce--Claytonia perfoliata (not yet blooming).  I guess I will never stop learning about this prairie project...

No comments:

Post a Comment