Saturday, April 10, 2021

A year of flowers #4: Yellow bells

 

Yellow bell (Fritillaria pudica)

I have two of these blooming at the moment, a small flower about three inches tall.   Apparently the bulb is very tasty, and was eaten both raw and cooked by Native Americans.  The voles love them as well, and I once had bought eight of these bulbs for six dollars each, and they were lovely, but were eaten by voles.  It is covered in a post here about ten years ago (!).  And since then, I have never seen the bulbs for sale anywhere.  So, I feel lucky to have a couple hanging on, a gift from a local friend who had many acres of native plants, and I have been studying how to propagate them from seed, which I ought to be able to do, so maybe there will be more here in the future, but I doubt I will ever have enough to try to eat one.

No comments:

Post a Comment