Wednesday, April 14, 2021

A year of flowers #5: Desert parsley

 

Lomatium grayii

This lomatium (aka, "Desert parsley") is the next to bloom out there.  This was an early success for me.  This species grows all over the place around Palouse, and a friend of mine showed me a good spot years ago and said--show up with a grocery bag when the seeds are ripe. They easily sprouted in profusion wherever I worked them into the soil.  One of the tricks of restoring Palouse prairie, I've discovered, is to recognize plants like this that are going to be aggressive (there are several), and hold back a little on those, so that they don't dominate the landscape.  I had a wave of Western asters go through the middle of the property ten years ago that was pretty epic.  Now it has calmed down a bit, but no Palousian should go without Western aster seed...give me a call.  This year I will be at a point in this process where I am ready to work more of L. grayii into the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment