Saturday, May 1, 2021

A year of flowers #13: Arrowleaf balsamroot

 Balsamorhiza sagittata

Arrowleaf balsamroot is a very common native plant in Eastern Washington, but they are not easy to grow.  My first attempt was around 1995 after half my property burned. I bought five tiny 2-3 leafed seedlings in conical plugs from someone around here selling native plants, and carefully laid the plugs in holes--disturbing the taproot is a no-no.  Three were eaten within days (it was pretty barren out there in the aftermath of the fire, and the light green leaves were not hard to spot).  Within a month, they were all gone.  I found two of the leaves in a bird nest near the house (grrr...).  Then, about nine years later, in this spot... a tiny leaf came up, and I covered that thing with chicken wire, protecting it from all evil.  It grew into this clump, and eighteen years (!!) after it had been planted, I had my first bloom.  Later, growing them from seed, I have gotten blooms in about 7-8 years, but growing Balsamroot is a commitment.  Now I have 15-20 growing around the prairie, with four substantial clumps about this size.  It has given me an appreciation for some of those massive automobile-sized patches you can see in places that have been undisturbed--they must be hundreds of years old!

No comments:

Post a Comment