Sunday, May 16, 2021

A year of flowers #28: Sticky geranium

Geranium viscosissimum
 
My oldest geraniums came from a spot about a mile east of me, but the seeds were collected years ago by a neighbor's daughter, now all grown up, and my seeds came from their house.  The seed for this geranium, however, came from a local business, Thorn Creek Native Seeds.  Jacie Jensen has collected seed from surviving Palouse prairie on her family's farm on Paradise Ridge, just south of Moscow, ID.  IMO, she is the best local source for seed.  This was a difficult plant for me to grow until I learned about soaking the seeds in hot water (you heat H2O to 180º, throw the seeds in, and let the water cool down overnight, plant the next day).  And you must be patient--it seems to average about 8 years from seed to bloom.  Several of my geraniums are blooming for the first time this year, including this beauty.  I shot the photo yesterday, but the deer chomped all the flowers on this one last night.  That's OK, the plants are built for this abuse, but... the deer are annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment