Sunday, May 2, 2021

A year of flowers #14: Upland larkspur


 Deliphinium nuttallianum

This is definitely one of my favorite native plants around here.  There were a few of them on the edges when I first moved here, then they would mysteriously vanish one year, coming back in a year or two.  There were a few that got going in the middle of the property, and after a few years they were gone.  I am not entirely sure how this works.  This year there are not many out there, but in this spot last year there must have been thirty of them.  I have a suspicion that they appear as little seedlings and then disappear for a year or so, building roots, then they come up and die back for several years.  So when you see a slope with hundreds of these, you are actually looking at thousands of them, but you can't see many of them.  I keep collecting seed and working them in, and at least in a few spots they've got a fairly permanent status, as here, but they make me nervous when I only see a few of them like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment