Tuesday, May 18, 2021

A year of flowers #30: Rocky Mountain iris

 

 
Iris missouriensis
 
This image appears to have some sort of fancy lighting on the flower, but in fact this is just what it looks like (this is an unaltered iPhone photo).  One of the first times I bought native grass seed around here in the mid-90s, they also had Rocky Mountain iris seed and I bought some and put it in a wetter spot out there.  Now, 25 years later, I've got some nice patches going--enough that the deer can chomp a few and I don't worry about it.  Last year, my neighbors Butch and Janet led me to a spot on their family farm and we dug up several clumps which I have planted, but my experience is that many plants only send up leaves the first year after they get moved, so I will have to wait until next year on those. 

No comments:

Post a Comment