Friday, May 14, 2021

A year of flowers #24: Midget phlox


Microsteris gracilis
 
I confess to being perturbed with the botanical community, because this one is called Midget phlox, and is a sweet native annual that I have worked hard to bring back into my prairie, and now they have decided that it isn't Phlox gracilis.  No, now it's Microsteris gracilis.  Anyway, I had almost wiped this out (it blooms when several nasty plants make their presence known), but having purged major parts of the property of invasive noxious weeds, I have had the pleasure of watching this plant move back in throughout the prairie.  I seem to be unable to take the photo that would do this justice, where you walk out into an area and countless little pink and white (and every gradation between) little stars hover like a blanket three inches above the ground.  This is another plant that local plant sensei Jim Roberts pointed out to me, walking around the property years ago.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment