Saturday, May 15, 2021

A year of flowers #27: Western groundsel


 
Senecio integerrimus
 
The seeds for all my Western groundsel have come from down the road from me.  They seem to have recognized familiar territory and have settled in, spreading among my Ponderosa pines as they did where I collected the seed, with an understory of immature plants and a few bloomers coming up.  Since we haven't had much rain at all in the last month or so, those immature plants are looking a bit wiped out, so today I went ahead and watered them.  I planted quite a lot of native grasses last fall, a custom mix from BFI in Moses Lake (who I highly recommend if you need to buy native grasses), and they are coming up very well, so I am watering to keep them going.  The mature parts of the prairie seem to endure this drought pretty well, but I have a LOT of nice baby plants coming up that I am not willing to submit to fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment